March 10, 2010
Salon D, SE2, Town Square
BCIT Burnaby Campus
COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT:
Margot Allingham, Alan & Chris Barnard, Karl
Boerner, Sec., Clarence Diebold, Ted Howard, Ted Scratchley, Murray Sharp,
Ray Bremner, Ted Marchant, Ed Warkentin.
33 members. The low attendance partially due to the snowy, wet, and stormy weather.
A. CALL TO ORDER
- The meeting was called to order at 12:50.
B. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
C. 1 APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE AGM, March 11, 2009
- The motion to approve the minutes was seconded and carried.
C. 2 BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:
E. EXECUTIVE COUNCIL REPORTS
- The Financial Statement was made available to the members. Bob explained some figures and answered questions.
- MEMBER RECRUITMENT, RECOGNITION AND SUPPORT.
- Chris mentioned that 144 members had paid their dues and that 59 remained in arrears.
- We gained 17 new members in 2009 and so far eight in 2010.
- COMMUNICATION AND FELLOWSHIP.
- Ted Marchant, the absent, globe-trotting web master, has indicated that he’ll keep the Page up-to-date and that he’ll continue to try to add sections of interest.
- BENEFITS AND LIAISON, COSCO.
- Clarence had posted his report.
- PRESIDENT’S REMARKS.
- Derek thanked the President, Dr. Wright, and BCIT for their support. He expressed his appreciation for the work done by the members of the Board of Directors and Joyce. He made mention of some of the successful excursions, seminars, and luncheons of the Association and that he hoped to hold some Board Meetings on a campus of BCIT other than Burnaby. He concluded by stating that he was looking forward to the discussion
and that he was counting on the support and involvement of the members.
The motion to accept all reports was seconded and carried.
F. PROPOSED AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS.
- No amendments were proposed.
The order of points G and H was changed since a non-existant Association would not need a Council.
H. DISCUSSION ON FUTURE OF BCITRA.
- The discussion was voluntarily chaired by Ted Scratchley. A panel, consisting of Alan Barnard, Ernie Iannacone, and Ted Howard was formed to lay some groundwork for the pros and cons. In an effort of this type there is obviously some repetition. The history of the Association was mentioned by Ted, Alan, and Ernie, who can be considered the founder of it; the Member Interests Survey, the successful events, the Genealogy Group by Alan; Library and Gym privileges, and perhaps quarterly meetings, by Ernie; our Bursaries and Ed Warkentin’s study of other Associations and their problems, by Ted Howard. The vexing problem of attracting new members was mentioned several times during the meeting. The discussion continued with the Chair trying to elicit responses from the members, who expressed that they enjoyed the social aspects of the Association, meeting friends and colleagues.
It appeared that the members present seem to be content with the way the Association was functionning.
G. ELECTION OF OFFICERS TO THE EXECUTIVE COUNCIL.
- Ted Howard had prepared the following list of Council members standing for re-election and stressed that new members were needed to replace those that had resigned.
- The candidates were:
|Peter Abel and Charlie Young were nominated from the floor and stood for election.
I. OTHER BUSINESS:
Iannacone formulated the following motion: ( He sent me the motion and the explanatory paragraph by e-mail. The paragraph is almost exactly as written by him.)
Be it resolved that the Board of BCITRA select and determine with BCIT’S approval the location of a suitable memorial or plaque honouring and/or commemorating all individuals or parties who were
significantly associated with BCIT over the past.
The motion was seconded and during discussion reference was made to
- the fact that sufficient funds were on hand,
- the BCIT Pioneer’s donated memorial located on Campus adjacent to Guichon Creek, and
- stress that the plaque identify no one specifically but be memorializing all who were associated with BCIT, but may include the names of relevant individual groups such as students, alumni, support staff, faculty and advising committee members, i.e, those who previously came under BCIT’s umbrella.
The motion was carried by a majority of one vote.
Ernie continued: I assume that this motion will come before the Board soon. When it does, I suggest a small subcommittee be established to progress this motion and report back to the Board. I would be pleased to serve on this subcommittee should the Board so determine.
No other topics were raised.
The fifty-fifty draw of $ 23.50 was won by Peter Abel.
- The meeting was adjourned at 14:25.