15 June, 2005
Royal Oak Facility
Chris Barnard (Chair), Margot Allingham, Len Arychuk, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner (Sec), Clarence Diebold, Ted Scratchley, Ed Warkentin, Ted Howard, Yvonne Jack
Margot Allingham, Derek Knox, Murray Sharp
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 09:40.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda as submitted was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On MAY 18, 2005.
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- Explanations were to be given with the Reports.
5. New Business.
- There was no correspondence.
- Alan explained some details of his report and expressed his frustrations with the Bank of Montreal, who seem to have an endless number of charges for the simplest transactions.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- Clarence mentioned that the guest speaker at the June delegates meeting of Cosco was Art Field, President of the Canadian National Pensioners and Senior Citizens Federation. The main goal of the Federation is to meet with members of parliament and present concerns in the form of briefs.
- Other topics at the meeting were the outcome of the provincial election and the Supreme Court of Canada decision that enables private health insurance coverage of procedures covered by medicare in the province of Quebec.
- Bela Sivac, a member, is in hospital. A card of support will be sent to his wife.
- 3. Fellowship and Communications
- A report will be made at the next meeting.
- Chris reported that we have 202 paid members and that a reminder will be mailed to the laggards, asking them whether they want to maintain their membership or not.
- Alan has been too busy lately to work on the Page. He pointed out that Ted Marchant has some good ideas with regards to the Page, has more time and is willing to take over.
- There have not been many inquiries about the trips to Turkey and Mt. Kilimanjaro. Ted Scratchley is working on a visit to Russia next year and is considering day trips.
- A cruise on Derek's yacht was mentioned.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- FACILITIES, PROMOTION, FINANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Telephone Exchange building cannot be used for the Council meetings anymore. The Council members have decided to continue using the Royal Oak facility in the meantime.<
- Since the donations of the members of the Association are not sufficient, the Council has decided to approach industries and corporations for contributions to the Building Fund.
- It was suggested to invite Dr. Don Rix, the well-known philanthropist, as guest speaker to the next AGM, planned for Nov. 30.
- Discussed were methods for displays to honour donors of sums of various magnitudes. Ed had produced a design for consideration.
- Consultation and co-operation with the BCIT Foundation is planned.
- Ed is having a meeting with Dr. Knowles on June 28.
- Ted Howard and Ed will try to meet Dr. Rix.
- Derek and Murray are the suggested coordinators for contacting industries.
- Another letter concerning the appeal will be mailed to the members.
- The BCITRA brochure with a donation form will be placed in the mailboxes on campus
7. Next Meeting:
- Wednesday, August 17, 2005 at 09:30 at the Royal Oak Facility, SE4 - 140.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:20.