21 September, 2005
Royal Oak Facility

Present:

Chris Barnard (Chair), Ed Warkentin, Clarence Diebold, Ted Howard, Ted Scratchley, Yvonne Jack

Regrets:

Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Margot Allingham, Murray Sharp, Derek Knox.
(Note: As Len Arychuk has moved out of the area, it is unlikely he will be attending future meetings.)


1. Call To Order:

  • The meeting was called to order at 09:30.

2. Approval Of The Agenda:

  • The motion to approve the agenda as submitted was seconded and carried.

3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On AUGUST 17, 2005.

  • The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.

4. Business Arising From The Minutes.

  • Discussed under Facilities.

5. New Business.

A. Correspondence.

  • None (other than some membership renewals).

B. Reports

  • 1. Treasurer
  • As Alan was not in attendance, treasurer's report was not available.
  • 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
  • Clarence attended the COSCO September 9th meeting where two guest speakers from the Public Interest Advocacy Centre explained how they represent BC citizens mainly at hearings before the BC Utilities Commission, e.g. when increases in BC Hydro, Telus or ICBC rates are put forward, PIAC lawyers can challenge hikes on behalf of BC consumers. In this way the companies at least need to justify the increases they are proposing and answer opposing arguments. However, the companies are well represented by their own lawyers. (This Public Interest Advocacy Centre is funded by the Canada Law Society).
  • COSCO's action programme for the upcoming year is to forge links with MLA's from both Federal parties. In addition, as a national body, COSCO supports Medicare. To this end, they would like to see better and less biased coverage regarding Medicare in the local newspapers, especially in the editorials. They believe the people of Canada want Medicare but newspaper editorials do not reflect this. They will be organising members to write letters to the newspapers in the hope that all sides of the debate will be represented.
  • 3. Fellowship and Travel
  • Ted advised that member George Abbot is in palliative care. Chris will be in touch as appropriate.
  • Margot sent an e-mail re proximity of Christmas Luncheon to AGM, latter scheduled for November 30. Committee did not feel this would be a problem. Ted S. will book Cheers for Sunday, December 11, 2005 if possible, with December 4 as a back up date.
  • 4. Membership
  • Current membership is 213 members paid to date and 30 members in arrears. Chris mentioned that the web page had been hacked once again but was now restored to normal.
  • 5. Web Page
  • Alan has been too busy lately to work on the Page. He pointed out that Ted Marchant has some good ideas with regards to the Page, has more time and is willing to take over.
  • 5. Travel
  • Ted Scratchley suggested that, as only two couples have shown an interest in the April/May Russian River cruise, the idea should be dropped. In order to negotiate attractive rates, you usually need to book a year ahead and have a substantial number of people committed.
  • Unfortunately, the travel proposals only interest about 2% of the membership.

The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.

6. OTHER BUSINESS

  • FACILITIES, PROMOTION, FINANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Ed gave details of his meeting with Dr. Knowles last month. Dr. Knowles' message was to press on with the facilities proposal and not to be discouraged. In both the University of Waterloo and the Manitoba University, it had been found that retirees and faculty members do not share the same interests and a merge is unlikely.
  • A meeting has been arranged next week with Dr. Rix who has some ideas re fund-raising for us. Some 2000 donation forms are ready to be sent out. A work party has been set up to handle this mail-out.
  • With regard to the mailed out letter, the reception outside of Council has been interesting and positive. Further donations of $3,500 have been pledged.
  • MISCELLANEOUS
  • The AGM mail out will be done after October meeting. Chris will check if date for AGM is on the website. Ted Howard will look after the nominations.
  • Trish Alford is interested in a committee position. Chris will invite her to the October meeting.

7. Next Meeting:

  • This will be held on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 in the Royal Oak Facility, SE40-140.

8. Adjournment.

  • Meeting adjourned at 10:45.