19 OCTOBER, 2005
Royal Oak Facility
Chris Barnard (Chair), Margot Allingham, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner (Sec), Clarence Diebold, Ted Scratchley, Ted Howard, Yvonne Jack, Murray Sharp
Ed Warkentin, Mark Angelo
Len Arychuk, Derek Knox
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 09:40.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda as submitted was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On SEPTEMBER 21, 2005.
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- Deferred to be discussed during the meeting.
5. New Business.
- A letter was received from Ed Warkentin regarding his meeting with Dr. Don B. Rix and later with Bob McKenzie.
- A notice of renewal for the magazine 50 Plus led to the motion that THE SUBSCRIPTION WAS NOT TO BE RENEWED.
- The motion was seconded and carried.
- Alan presented his report and answered questions.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- Clarence stated that Cosco supports the teachers' strike, and that the Council will also get involved in municipal elections since elected officials make decisions concerning public health.
- A demonstration is to be held on Friday, November 11 at 09:00 in front of the Hotel Vancouver where a conference of "foes of public healthcare" is planned on that day.
- 3. Fellowship and Communications
- The Christmas Luncheon will be held on Dec. 11 at Cheers. We shall be in a different room which Margot has appraised and found suitable. The cost of $17 includes taxes and tips. Notices will be mailed to the members and the return registration slips should be mailed by Dec. 2.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- It was mentioned that Graham C. Anderson has passed away.
- According to Chris, the paid membership stands at 218. The 32 members who have not responded to the reminder to renew shall be taken off the list.
- A get-well card will be sent to the family of G. Abbot.
- Alan explained that he is too busy to spend much time on the Page and that he has had not much help from Derek Knox and not heard from Ted Marchant for some time. Margot and Karl recently have had problems with the website.
- The trip to Russia, planned for the spring of '06, has been cancelled due to lack of interest.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- FACILITIES, PROMOTION, FINANCE RESPONSIBILITIES
- If the Association does not proceed with the building of the new office by February 24, the Administration will make use of the property, Ed was told by Bob McKenzie during their meeting. Also, Ed's talk with Dr. Don B. Rix did not lead to any direct results.
- To approach businesses with regard to fund raising, Ed has planned a meeting with Laurie Clark of the Foundation to avoid clashes.
- The letter of notice and the agenda will be mailed on Oct. 25. Enclosed will also be the registration form for the Christmas luncheon. The guest speaker at the Annual General Meeting will be Dr. Don B. Rix, former Chair Emeritus of the B.C. Innovation Council.
- Mark Angelo and his wife are to be the invited guests for the Christmas luncheon.
7. Next Meeting:
- The next meeting will take place Wednesday, November 16, 2005 at 09:30 in the Royal Oak Facility, SE 40-140.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:20.