January 18, 2006
Royal Oak Facility
Chris Barnard (Chair), Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner (Sec), Ray Bremner, Ian Dean, Clarence Diebold, Ted Howard, Yvonne Jack, Ted Scratchley, Murray Sharp, Ed Warkentin
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 09:35.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried after the addition of 'Open House' and 'Newsletter' to New Business.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On November 16, 2005.
- Under Reports, Item B 4 should read Chris and Alan have offered to attend.
The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- Deferred to be discussed during the meeting.
- Bob McKenzie was unable to attend and is to be invited to the next meeting.
5. New Business.
- A thank you note for 'the beautiful bouquet' has been received from Margot Allingham.
- Len Arychuk has supplied his new address, etc.
- Notices have been mailed to paid-up members and those in arrears to notify the office with regards to change of address and a reminder to pay the dues.
- Alan gave the report and to simplify banking moved that: THE TREASURER OF THIS ASSOCIATION, ALAN BARNARD, AND THE CO-SIGNER ON THE ACCOUNT, EDWIN WARKENTIN, BE INSTRUCTED TO CLOSE THE ASOCIATION'S CHEQUING ACCOUNT # 8219-088 AT A TIME CONVENIENT TO THEM BOTH, the motion was seconded and carried.
- Alan discussed the future of the Building Fund and answered questions from the floor.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- Clarence pointed out that COSCO was involved with the election campaign, putting emphasis on health care, medicare, private medical clinics, and transportation costs.
- 3. Fellowship and Communications
- We had fifty participants at the Christmas luncheon. The fifty-fifty draw generated $102.00.
- The next luncheon is planned for April 2 or 9. Ted Scratchley, who gave the report, has agreed to continue to organize future culinary outings. He and Yvonne will design the notice for the next one.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Chris stated that 70 members have paid for 2006. The Web Page lists only those that have paid; those that are in arrears are not listed.
- Alan stressed that he's too busy to look after the web site and since Derek is employed and Ted Marchant is occupied, he has not received any help. He's hoping to find a member who can do and is willing to do the work.
- Ted Scratchley mentioned in his report that it is difficult to draw support from a small base of members.
Offers were made for Turkey, Russia and lately Cuba has been considered. Short trips may receive a better reception by the members, who will be given an opportunity to list their travel preferences in a survey to be held in the near future. Ted, Murray and Karl are the members of the travel committee.
- Ed has met with Bob McKenzie and Laurie Clark of the BCIT Foundation and has not been encouraged with regards to our own building. The Administration will supply a facility, which should be booked in good time, may not be always in the same place and is not limited to the Burnaby campus.
The campus is to be revitalized according to a five-year plan which includes a designated place for retirees.
Points raised during the discussion were the importance of having a permanent facility and the future of the building fund, among others.
It is hoped that a meeting with Bob McKenzie will give Council members an idea about what to expect in the future.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- Photos of the Council will be taken at the next meeting.
- The dates for the BCIT Open House are April 7 and 8. Ted Howard, as usual, has offered to look after the preparations and counts on the help of members of the Council.
- Margot Allingham has offered to help with the Newsletter and Ted Howard expects contributions from the members. Some points raised were whether we should have several Newsletters during the year and whether the membership fee should be raised or even done away with.
- Chris offered to be the liaison between the Council and persons who want to contact it.
7. Next Meeting:
- Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2006 at 09:30 in the Royal Oak Facility, SE40 Room 140.
- The meeting was adjourned at 11:40.