March 15, 2006
Royal Oak Facility

Present:

Chris Barnard (Chair), Ed Warkentin, Alan Barnard, Ted Howard, Ted Scratchley, Murray Sharp, Ian Dean, Ray Bremner, Yvonne Jack

Regrets:

Karl Boerner, Derek Knox

Absent:

Ian Dean

Guest:

Margot Allingham, Terry Suen


1. Call To Order:

  • The meeting was called to order at 10:00.

2. Approval Of The Agenda:

  • The motion to approve the agenda as submitted was seconded and carried.

3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On February 15, 2006.

  • Ed Warkentin requested that on p.2, item 6 his name be removed and Alan Barnard's name substituted. It was also noted that Bob McKenzie offered Royal Oak Facility. Apart from these two amendments, minutes of February 15, 2006 were approved.

4. Business Arising From The Minutes.

  • Ed will discuss survey re residences under other business.
  • Alan Barnard stated that all building fund cheques (except for three) had been returned to donors. Final three will be mailed today. As no donation was made to the Foundation last year owing to the Building Fund initiative, the motion by Alan that a donation of $2,000 from BCITRA now be made. This was seconded and approved, with the proviso that two separate cheques be issued - each for $1,000 - designated for the Spring and Fall convocations respectively.

GUEST.

  • Terry Suen, Tech. Management Degree Program, Chair for Display and Judging Committee, BCIT Open House, issued an invitation to all retirees to consider volunteering as judges for the 100 or so displays that will be part of Open House. Judging will take place on Friday, April 7, the first day of Open House. Teams of three, in 2-3 hour shifts, one in the morning and one in the afternoon will be assigned to a route covering 10-12 displays. A total of 45 judges will be required and results have to be tallied by 15:30. Terry would appreciate help from the retirees who should contact her if they are interested in taking part in this interesting task. In reply to a question, Terry explained that the judging criteria were as follows: Special form with 7 point rating scale covering various categories. Each display has a number. Completed forms will be collected and tallied by the committee. All campuses are taking part in the displays. After Terry left the meeting, it was agreed that Alan would send a general invitation to all the members of BCITRA on email laying out details of the request. It was strongly felt that retirees should take part in this endeavour.

5. New Business.

A. Correspondence.

  • None.

B. Reports

  • 1. Treasurer
  • Treasurer's report was circulated. Bank of Montreal account closed and cash transferred to Cash-in-Hand before being deposited in Scotia bank account.
  • 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
  • Clarence was unable to attend today. No report.
  • 3. Fellowship and Communications
  • Alan confirmed that Bedford House had received deposit cheque. Ted advised that 18 returns had been received so far. Joyce will be checking at the office and let Ted know of additional returns by April 5 so that he can confirm numbers with Bedford House.
  • 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
  • Current membership is 170 members paid to date and 57 members unpaid. A reminder will be sent to those not yet paid.
  • Ed and Chris attended two retiree seminars targeting 38 retirees in total. Now that retirement is not mandatory, some of these people will officially retire but return to work so unlikely to be interested in joining at present.
  • 5. Web Page
  • Alan advised that, as no one volunteered to take over the web page, no further updates will be done after April. Karl, as secretary, should e-mail minutes to all executive members. Web page will stay up to provide some information about BCITRA. Time sensitive items will be removed.
  • 6. Travel
  • A meeting did not take place but Ted Scratchley gave his impressions. No major trips are likely, as they would not appeal to a significant number of people.
    Short trips are more feasible. Ted will check with Derek Knox re possible boat trip.
  • 7. Open House
  • Ted Howard advised that BCITRA has a booth in the Town Square. A screen and projector has been booked but laptop is only available for Saturday. Ted will try to obtain a laptop from audiovisual for Sunday. A sign up sheet was passed around for people to be on duty at the booth.
  • 8. Newsletter:
  • Ted Howard advised that the newsletter was in its final stages. The Print Shop will let us know date on which they can print - usually two to three weeks after proofing; likely date will be mid-April. Alan will do up a set of labels and leave them in the office so that newsletters can be mailed out.

All reports were approved.

6. OTHER BUSINESS

  • Bedford House Brunch
  • Ted Scratchley will pick up door prizes and a 50/50 draw will be organised.
  • Survey Mail-out Response
  • Ed advised that the survey regarding the Life Lease residences for retired faculty and staff was mailed out to 225 members. He received about 30 replies - 8 showed interest; 5 some interest; rest not interested.
    Ed has contacted various educational establishments re provision of retiree housing with the following results:
    - University of British Columbia: has a site for retiree housing - plan a five to six storey building. Interest among faculty about 75%
    - University of Manitoba - has retiree housing
    - Concordia: has retiree housing
    - Simon Fraser University - not yet but issue being raised.
     
    As there is obvious strength in numbers, Ed made a motion that: the membership of BCITRA join the College and University Retirees Association of Canada (CURAC) on a trial basis for one year at a cost of approximately $100 (50 cents per member). Motion was seconded and approved.
    CURAC currently has 35 member groups. Click here to read about their purpose, membership, initiatives, etc. as described on the CURAC website.
  • Planetarium
  • Alan mentioned that the planetarium at BCIT is still in use and if enough people were interested, Bill Burnyeat is prepared to put on a presentation on Astronomy.

7. Next Meeting:

  • Wednesday, April 19, 2006 in the Royal Oak Facility, SE4-140. Please note that the meeting time is now 10:00.

8. Adjournment.

  • Meeting adjourned at 11:30.