October 17, 2007
Royal Oak Facility
Ed Warkentin (Chair), Alan Barnard, Chris Barnard, Ted Scratchley, Clarence Diebold, Murray Sharp, Ray Bremner, Derek Knox, Yvonne Jack
Karl Boerner, Ted Howard, Ted Marchant
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:10.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda as submitted was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On September 19, 2007.
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- Clarification of the bill from Alternet was given as requested.
5. New Business.
- A letter from Elections BC looking for part-time and full-time people during April and May 2009 was circulated around the table. Anyone interested can find out more information from the following sources -
Phone: 1-800-661-8683 TTY 1-888-456-5448
- Treasurer's report as at 30th September was presented. No comments except to note that ING interest was $26.10 - certainly better than other banks.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- Clarence circulated a petition drawn up by COSCO requesting signatures to ask the Federal Government to rectify their under-rating inflation by half a per cent per annum on pensions. This has resulted in a great deal of money going into government coffers instead of into the retirees' pension. COSCO would like this remedied.
- He also gave details of The Anti-Poverty Group's Presentation regarding homelessness on the streets of Vancouver and other parts of BC. The main thrust of the presentation was to ask people to become active in the fight to address this problem. Much discussion followed. Where people may be able to help somewhat individually, the consensus was that this is a Federal problem and it is difficult to stand behind the current actions being taken by the Anti-Poverty Group.
- 3. Fellowship and Communication
- Yvonne advised that a tentative booking had been made with Cheers, North Vancouver, for the Christmas Sunday Luncheon Buffet. The date will be Sunday, December 9, at 12 noon. The cost this year will be $19.30 pp. Yvonne will e-mail Joyce to draw up the mail-out information and a mail-out to members will be done week commencing October 29. The treasurer gave Yvonne a cheque for $200.00 to mail to Cheers as a deposit against the booking. Ray undertook to look after the door prizes and a 50/50 draw will be organised by Derek and Karl.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Chris advised that we have 204 paid up members.
- Ted is currently in Brazil. Yvonne will e-mail him details of the Christmas luncheon as he may still be able to mount them on the web site (copy to Alan Barnard).
- Ted gave details of a Fall Wine Cruise for 9 nights in October, 2008 being offered through Cruises Abroad, Vancouver by Celebrity Cruises. Full details are being mailed out to members after the meeting. Ted and his wife have already booked on this cruise and it is hoped that at least ten people will take advantage of this offer.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- Ammendments to the Constitution
- Ed gave everyone a copy of the BCITRA Constitution and By-Laws to take home for proofing. It is hoped to finalise them at the next meeting.
7. Next Meeting:
- This will be held on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 10:00. Venue is as yet unknown. Details will be e-mailed at a later date. ACTION: Ed.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:15.