February 20, 2008
Royal Oak Facility
Derek Knox, Chair, Margot Allingham, Alan and Chris Barnard,
Karl Boerner, Sec., Ray Bremner, Yvonne Jack, Ted Howard, Ted Marchant,
Clarence Diebold, Murray Sharp, Ed Warkentin
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On January 16, 2008.
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- CURAC has been informed that we have cancelled our membership.
- The appointment of a speaker for the AGM has not yet been confirmed.
5. New Business.
- We received the minutes of COSCO's AGM, held on February 8, 2008.
- Ted Howard informed that to make room reservations on campus, 604 432-8841 has to be contacted.
- Alan did not have a report available. He had been too busy preparing one for the year-end. He also announced that he would not stand for re-election.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- According to the minutes of the AGM, Cosco will host the Annual Convention for the National Pensioners and Senior Citizens Federation, NPSCF, in Surrey on September 18,19, and 20. A Fall Conference that will concentrate on seniors' health, housing, and income in an age-friendly environment is planned for September 15 and 16. They expect 400 attendees and the cost to be about $100,000. Roy Romanov is to be invited. The registration fee will be $100; they'll try to reduce it. Cosco has 73 Affiliates, of which 36 have renewed; 167 Associates, individual members, of whom 107 have renewed.
- Ted Scratchley has visited Cravings and found that they have a room for 60 guests, big enough for our events. A brunch is planned for April; Ted to negotiate a price, Yvonne is helping with final touches.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Chris has 105 members paid, out of 210. Many are expected to pay their dues at the AGM.
- 5. Communications (Web Page)
- Ted Marchant is keeping the Page up to date with regards to members paid, etc.
- The treasurer's report will be shown when it is available.
- The members decided against putting a copy of the revised constitution on the Page.
- Ted Scratchley's number of travellers for the October cruise Vancouver- San Diego is still 14. A disappointing result, since the Interest Survey had shown a strong interest for cruises.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- Chris reported that the mail-outs have been made,
- Verbal reports will be made by Alan and by Ted Scratchley, written reports will be posted,
- The BCIT retirees jackets will be available for sale,
- There will be a 50-50 draw,
- l, Derek, and Ted Howard are working on a slate of candidates. Yvonne has decided not to stand for re-election.
- BCIT Professsional Development Day
- We'll have no booth at the Open House but will offer volunteers,
- Ted Marchant mentioned that it is not easy to sign up for courses offered during Professional
Development Day. By the time our members know the programs offered, the interesting ones have been filled.
- BCIT is changing its letter head, some colours have been changed. Consequently our letter head will be changed also.
7. Next Meeting:
- It is to be held on March 19, 2008, 1000 h, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:05.