March 19, 2008
Royal Oak Facility
Derek Knox, Chair, Alan & Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Ray
Bremner, Ted Howard, Yvonne Jack, Ted Marchant, Ted Scratchley, Murray Sharp,
Clarence Diebold, Ken Mitchell, Ed Warkentin
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:10.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried after
the first line under c) Other Business had been changed to Proofread the AGM-approved
Revision of the Constitution and Bylaws.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On February 20, 2008.
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- Alan pointed out that the statement in the February minutes under
Treasurer should have stated more clearly that he would not stand for re-election
as treasurer, but that he would remain a Director.
5. New Business.
- Alan, in his new position as Corresponding Secretary, reported
that letters had been received with regards to the new letterheads at BCIT, how
to save money at the gas pumps; savings that can be obtained by using electricity-powered
cars, and the Massive Technology Show, April 1, 2008, at the Vancouver Convention and
- Alan had his report for the period Jan.1 to Feb. 29, 2008 ready.
He indicated that he was ready to take the steps necessary to let the newly-elected
Treasurer look after the finances of the Association.
- He suggested that he, Alan, should remain a Signing Officer.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- The report was not available.
- Yvonne has been in touch with Bedford House and came up with
a price of $27.50 for a luncheon. The price includes tea or coffee, tip and taxes.
The day chosen is April 20. Ted Scratchley is helping with the final arrangements.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- We have 218 members according to Chris. A reminder will be mailed
to those who are in arrears.
- The reminder will include the notice of the Luncheon.
- The number of participants at the AGM was 41.
- Chris had phoned Ed and talked about his gaining strength and the health problems of his wife Pat. The Members of the Council expressed their concerns and their heart-felt wishes for speedy recoveries.
- Ted Marchant is keeping the list of members up to date, whose dues are due, and looks for errors.
- The Minutes, Luncheon, and Travel notices are always available on the Page.
- Ted Scratchley mentioned the disappointing number of participants for the San Diego Cruise. He was wondering whether a more detailed survey with regards to travel should be held.
- He described Yellow Point Lodge, near Nanaimo, and will look into details to find out if it would be a worthwhile travel objective.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
1. Proofread the AGM-approved Revision of the Constitution and Bylaws.
The i's were dotted and the t's were crossed on the Revision.
2. The Signing Officers for the Association are Derek Knox, Alan Barnard, Ted Howard, and Bob Wagner.
3. The suggestion to invite Ed to the Luncheon and supply transport was accepted by the Members. This of course means that his wife is invited also.
4. The idea to support a motion at the next AGM to make Ed Warkentin an honorary member was also wholeheartedly supported.
The motion TO REIMBURSE ALAN $116 FOR EXPENSES OCCURRED AS TREASURER was seconded and carried.
7. Next Meeting:
- It is to be held on April 16, 2008, 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:25.