June 18, 2008
Royal Oak Facility
Derek Knox, Chair, Alan & Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Rec., Ray
Bremner, Clarence Diebold, Ted Marchant, Ted Scratchley, Murray Sharp,
Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:10.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried after an addition had been made with regards to Tony Allingham.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On May 21, 2008.
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- To be dealt with under Reports.
5. New Business.
- Alan reported that mail had been received from Elections BC concerning the election of District Electoral Officers, and from Cosco with the minutes of their Delegates' meeting, the Cosco News, and details about their Conference on Seniors' Health, Housing and Income.
- Bob had been busy with floor-laying but mentioned that some members had mailed their membership fees.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- Topics covered at the last Cosco meeting were, according to Clarence,
The motion to SEND CLARENCE TO THE CONFERENCE ON SENIORS' HEALTH, HOUSING AND INCOME
was seconded and carried.
1. threatened development of the Riverview lands,
2. the Convention of the National Pensioners and Seniors Federation,
3. passports for seniors and,
4. stronger Seniors representation in Ottawa, etc.
- Ted Scratchley brought up the coming funeral services for Tony Allingham. Several Council members will represent the Association at the service on June 21.
The motion to DONATE $100 IN MEMORY OF TONY ALLINGHAM TO THE CANADIAN BLOOD SERVICES was seconded and carried.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Chris stated that 194 members had paid their dues. A final reminder will be mailed to members in arrears after she has listed the members that have sent cheques to Bob.
- Ted Marchant has just returned from travelling and remarked that the Page was up-to-date.
- Ted Scratchley pointed out that trips on the Rocky Mountaineer appear to be to expensive. He suggested a visit to Bowen Island, which offers pleasant walks, Mt. Gardner, and an artists' community among other things. Al and Chris are willing to have a closer look at the island, while Ted will get more details about the Rocky Mountaineer.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- A member brought up the problem of attendance at the Board's meetings. At this stage of our lives the work may appear rather insignificant, but it is simply a matter of courtesy to phone the Chair or a member of the Board that one is unable to attend. After some discussion the Chair was asked to inquire after the problems that may keep Ken from attending the meetings.
7. Next Meeting:
- It is to be held on Sept 17, 2008, 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:15.