March 18, 2009
Royal Oak Facility
Derek Knox, Chair, Margot Allingham, Alan & Chris Barnard, Karl
Boerner, Rec., Ray Bremner, Clarence Diebold, Gordon Farrell, Ted Scratchley,
Murray Sharp, Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin.
Ted Howard, Ted Marchant.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried,
after under Other Business, Duties and Allocation of Officers had been added.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On:
February 18, 2009
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- To be covered during the meeting.
5. New Business.
- Received were a hand-out from Gordon, and the Minutes of the Cosco Delegates' Meeting held on
March 13, 2009.
- Bob clarified some entries on his report and answered questions.
- 2. Benefits and Liaison, COSCO
- Clarence explained that Cosco was concentrating on the upcoming election. Emphasized are, to name a few,
the health field, the independent seniors'advocate, the number of care beds, expanded home support services,
- The Run of the River Project and its pro and cons were discussed by the Directors.
- Cosco has planned a March for Housing on April 4.
- Ted suggested that the Fellowship and Communications Committee should be combined with that of Travel.
He suggested that the mail-out for the Luncheon should list information for available carpools.
- Ted is checking out a cruise to Ketchikan in September with the Sapphire Princess. He'll supply details at
a later date. In the discussion, wine tours, Minter Gardens, and Bowen Island were mentioned.
- 4. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Christine reported that we have 173 paid members, with 41 still in arrears. A final reminder will be
- After some discussion concerning the idea of recognition, the motion that:
The next Luncheon be named the Warkentin Luncheon was seconded and carried.
- The only vote opposing the motion was cast by Ed Warkentin.
- 5. Communications (Web Page)
- Ted Marchant is globetrotting but still updating the Page.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. OTHER BUSINESS
- 1. Changes to the College Pension Plan (CPP)
- Gordon had prepared a leaflet titled College Health Benefits, where problems and deficiencies of the College
Pension Plan are discussed. Suggestions for improvements are made. Gordon and Alan have offered to liaise
with groups who share our concerns.
- 2. Review of Activities from the AGM
- Expressed was the opinion that the election was held too quickly and that there should be a better list of
the names of nominated members. It was proposed to include a nomination form with notice of the AGM.
Robert Merriam offered to substitute for Clarence at Cosco if the need should arise.
- 3. The Warkentin Picture Framing Class.
- Ed seems to have the eight students he needs. The class is set for April 18.
- 4. Spring Luncheon Update.
- Notices for the luncheon on the 26 of April are ready to be mailed. The retirees' jackets will be available as
well as doorprizes, etc. Dr. Wright is to be invited.
- 5. Duties, Allocation of Officers.
- The Officers holding the position were re-elected or elected by acclamation.
Leaders will have to be found for newly-formed committees.
7. Next Meeting:
- The next meeting will be held on Apr. 15, 2009, 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 12:00.