April 21, 2010
Royal Oak Facility
Chris Barnard, Chair, Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec.,
Don Eklof, Ted Howard, Derek Knox, Murray Sharp, Bob Wagner.
Clarence Diebold, Charlie Young.
Ernie Iannacone, Ted Marchant.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:03.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried after two topics had been added: archives and
discussion of AGM.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On February 10, 2010:
- Corrected under item 7. Allocation of Responsibilities was that Alan Barnard is not only Corresponding
but also Membership Secretary.
The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- Elaine Gibson has agreed to lend a hand with the Newsletter.
5. New Business.
- A committee was formed to study the form and cost of a memorial to be placed on the BCIT campus. Ernie, who suggested the erection of it, is the chair, and the members are Derek, Don, and Ted H.
- Alan had received minutes of Cosco meetings and their newsletter, also thank-you notes for donations of one kind or another from students of the BCIT Environmental Health Programme, the receiver of one of our bursaries, and one from Margot Allingham.
- Bob pointed out the sums paid for the luncheon, the fact that a member paid $3 interest for paying his membership too late, and answered questions regarding the the Treasurer's Report.
c. Liaison with COSCO
- The report was not available.
d. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Alan has 173 paid members listed. Those who have not paid after having been repeatedly reminded, will be taken off the list.
e. Communications (Web Page)
- Ted had some statistics on site usage handy for the period from Apr. 5 to 20. The Page had 64 visits, average time spent was 1:57 min. The bounce rate was 40.62 %, meaning that of the visits, 26 looked at 1 page only and bounced on. Ted would like more visits or hits, but as it has been pointed out repeatedly, you can't get them if you don't beat the drum. Ted mentioned that it would be "greener" to send information electronically to members.
- Ted took photos for the web page of the newly elected Board of Directors.
f. Fellowship and Travel
- Christine has booked the Christmas Luncheon for Nov. 21 at Cheers upstairs.
- Bob has received payment from 40 members for the luncheon at Bedford House. Don is trying to hustle up some prizes, and Murray and Karl
will try to put a hit on members for the 50/50.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
8. Other Business:
- Derek explained that the BCIT Archives are threatened by financial cutbacks. Discussed were aid from the Foundation, the Alumni Association, and part time work. Derek offered to look at possible solutions. A letter in support of the Archives is to be drafted by Derek and to be passed on to Alan, the Corresponding
- With respect to the AGM it was noted that some reports supposedly listed were not available, that the custom of having a written report from the President should be maintained, and that it would be more satisfying for members to know at the end of the elections who the new President is.
- Furthermore, a comment was made to get more women involved with the Board.
9. Next Meeting:
- Will be held on May 19, 2010, 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:25.