October 20, 2010
Royal Oak Facility
Christine Barnard (Chair), Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Clarence
Diebold, Don Eklof, Ted Howard (Sec.), Murray Sharp, Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin.
Derek Knox, Karl Boerner, Charlie Young.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05.
2. Approval Of The Agenda:
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On 15 September, 2010:
- The motion to adopt the Minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
5. New Business.
Presentation regarding Medoc Travel Insurance
- by Lynda Stewart, CIP, CAIB, Senior Consultant Nominee, and Lisa Hansen, BA, FMLI, Consultant, both from Johnson, Inc. (N.B. Copies of brochures available for review at the BCITRA Office).
- The following are some of the insurance items discussed: single trip, 35-day trip, continuous trip coverage, no age restriction, 1st payer, savings on home insurance.
- The following payments available to member groups (such as BCITRA) made by Johnson Inc.,
- $10 per quote for every referral,
- 2% payback annually for student bursaries.
- A discussion took place including a question period. The presenters left, and a short discussion by the Board followed.
It was moved, seconded and carried "To complete and forward a Sponsor Group Form to Johnson Inc. and upon confirmation that BCITRA is a Sponsor Group, post the information on our website."
- A question has arisen as to what information is provided to BCIT staff contemplating retirement,
- by Victoria, and
- by BCIT Administration. Chris Barnard will enquire and report back.
- Bob submitted his report
- Moved, seconded and carried that $2,000 from our current account be forwarded to the BCIT Foundation for student bursaries.
c. Liaison with COSCO
- Clarence reported main topics of discussion. Government improvements to our medical plan was of major concern. Suggestions included,
- Possible purchase of medications in bulk, thus reducing cost,
- A consumer positive change in some patient laws to further reduce costs.
d. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- There are 187 paid members. A reminder that the 2011 membership subscriptions are due on 1 January, 2011, will be mailed shortly by Alan Barnard,
- Moved, seconded and carried that BCITRA make Margaret Arychuk an Honourary Member.
e. Communications (Web Page)
- No report. Ted Marchant travelling.
f. Fellowship and Travel
- Seattle 3-day trip. 4 couples have signed up. (41 members originally expressed interest). Space is still available. N.B. A donation of $30 from each passengers fare will be donated to the B.C. Cancer Agency.
- Christmas Luncheon on Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at Cheers Restaurant, North Vancouver. Replies are coming in slowly.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
8. Other Business:
- It was suggested that the Directors clarify the necessary pre-requisites for Honorary Membership in BCITRA and include it in our Constitution.
9. Next Meeting:
- It will be held on November 17, 2010, at 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:05.
Family History Group
- The date for the next meeting is Nov. 3rd at 19:00 at the BCITRA office.