FEBRUARY 16, 2011
ROYAL OAK FACILITY
Chris Barnard, Chair, Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec.,
Clarence Diebold, Don Eklof, Ted Howard, Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin, Ernie
Iannacone, Ted Marchant.
Derek Knox, Murray Sharp, Charlie Young.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:00.
2. Approval of the Agenda.
- The motion to accept the agenda was seconded and carried after a minute correction had been made. Under Reports, f), g) were changed to e) and f).
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On January 19, 2011:
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried after the following corrections were made: under Correspondence, Administration was changed to Foundation; under Fellowship and Travel, the Pitmar Tours to the Hotsprings was not featured on the Web Page.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
5. New Business.
- Alan is expecting from M. Arychuk a photo of the memorial bench.
- Furthermore, the paper work with Johnson Inc. (Medoc) has been completed.
- Bob had his report ready and pointed out that the Bank of Nova Scotia was now charging a bookkeeping fee for accounts under $500.
c. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Alan reported the gain of three new members; that 112 have paid their dues, and that those of 75 are in arrears.
d. Liaison with COSCO
- In his report, Clarence mentioned the growing incomes gap between the rich and the poor. Also, that in mail-outs the Public Service Pension Board, and others, reported on the long term health of their plans and the need to increase charges, and to change the coverage.
- He also referred to the disgusting changes in the funding and the process involving UBC's Therapeutics Initiative (assessing the cost-effectiveness of prescription drugs. For more details see Therapeutics Initiative.
To accommodate Ernie, it was decided to deal next with the Memorial.
The sometimes heated debate dealt with a non-functioning committee, benches, plaques, and rocks, and some Members of the Board dead set against a memorial. What to build, where to put it, the cost, and the restrictions were discussed. At the end, the following motion was seconded and carried:
That the Board go back to the AGM with details regarding choices, pricing, etc., and obtain direction.
f. Fellowship and Travel
- Three couples are going on the cruise.
- Having considered the prices, parking, location, etc. of Cravings, Old Bavaria Haus, and Eagle Creek of the Burnaby Mountain Golf Course, the Members voted to have the Spring Luncheon at the Old Bavaria Haus in New Westminster on April 10. The price quoted will be $26.00 and Chris offered to make the arrangements.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
8. Other Business:
- Memorial. (Dealt with earlier)
- This year the meeting is to be held in Salon A, which is to be set up as usual: table with membership list, etc.
- The reports that are to be posted should be ready for March 9.
- Ted H. to look after the election.
- Fifty-fifty to be held by the usual suspects, Karl and Ted Howard.
- Ted Marchant and Alan discussed the system by which members could find out whether their membership was due. Individual membership numbers and privacy concerns made it awkward to use and the decision was taken to discontinue it.
9. Next Meeting:
- It will be held on March 16, 2011, at 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:45.