May 18, 2011
ROYAL OAK FACILITY
Chris Barnard, Pres., Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Clarence Diebold, Don Eklof, Derek Knox, Murray Sharp, Bob Wagner.
Ted Howard, Charlie Young.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05.
2. Approval of the Agenda.
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On April 20, 2011:
- After Chris had been corrected to ALAN under 6 e), and BOB AND had been erased from 7 b), the motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
5. New Business.
- Alan read out a well-written thank-you letter from A. Fowler, a recipient of one of our bursaries. The suggestion was made to put some of these letters on the Web Page.
- Two letters were received from Johnson Inc. (Medoc) with regards to changes in coverage and scholarships. Details will be available on the Page.
- Small differences in the accounts had Bob hunting for 25 and 63 cents until he found them and presented his report.
- Scotiabank chequing charges were discussed. Chris offered to talk to them about it. Switching to credit unions was mentioned.
c. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Alan has 156 paid members on his list. The date line for renewal is June 1, after that he’ll take those in remiss off his register.
d. Liaison with COSCO
- Clarence reported that Cosco is busy organising public forums in many cities of the Province to fight the HST.
- He also mentioned a Symposium on Aging at SFU, and that there is a feeling that older drivers were unfairly treated by ICBC.
- Discussed were health problems faced by the elderly and their difficulties in obtaining a drivers licence.
e. Fellowship and Travel
- Chris mentioned that two couples enjoyed the Seattle cruise. (Alan is preparing a report for the Page).
- Four couples have signed up for the tour to the Kootenay Country.
- Future trips under consideration are one to the Okanagan and another one a train-ride into the Squamish- Whistler area. (Howe Sound Inn and Brewing Co., Squamish, serves a great Stout).
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
8. Other Business:
- Summer Break
- As usual, there will be no July meeting. Since excursions and the Fall luncheon are under consideration, no decision has been taken with regards to a meeting in August. However, mass e-mails were discussed.
9. Next Meeting:
- The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, June 15, 2011, at 10:00 at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:10.