October 19, 2011
ROYAL OAK FACILITY
Chris Barnard, Pres., Peter Abel, Alan Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Clarence Diebold, Don Eklof, Ted Howard, Derek Knox, Ted Scratchley, Bob Wagner, Ed Warkentin, Charlie Young
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05.
2. Approval of the Agenda.
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On September 21, 2011:
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
5. New Business.
- Offer by Chris Taylor to make a presentation re wealth management to be discussed under Other Business.
- Alan read aloud the letter received from Murray Sharp, explaining the reasons for his resignation from the Board of Directors. Margot Allingham had also been in touch with Alan and reported on the serious health problems Murray is facing.
- Bob said we should consider other financial institutions for our funds and mentioned GIC bonds. After discussing the different suggestions for some time, it was agreed that Bob would look into the issue and obtain detailed information for the next meeting.
- Bob had looked at changing the chequing account from Scotiabank to Vancity. After having discussed the pros and cons for the move the motion to
Keep the account with Scotiabank was seconded and carried.
The Treasurer's report is available.
c. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- The Association has 171 members at the moment, as pointed out by Alan. Those who have not renewed their membership have been taken off the list.
d. Liaison with COSCO
- Clarence mentioned that discussed were problems seniors face with payments under the Medical Services Plan, and renters of mobile home pads who after years of renting are forced to leave to make room for developers. Cosco also offers workshops on Power Point presentations.
e. Fellowship and Travel
- Chris mentioned the excellent service offered by Pitmar as she gave some details about the trip to Leavenworth, Dec. 1 to 4. Marysville and Wenatchee are stopovers, and in “Bavarian“ Leavenworth one can smell the Schnitzels on the street.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
8. Other Business:
- Christmas Luncheon
- The Christmas Luncheon will be held on Dec. 11 at Cheers downstairs, the main floor. The cost per head comes to $ 18.41, however, for practical reasons it was decided to charge $ 20. Hence the motion to
Charge $20 per member for the Christmas Luncheon was seconded and carried.
Wealth Management Presentation
- The AGM is set for March 14 from 11:00 h to 15:00 h in Salons A and B.
Speakers have not yet been chosen. Mentioned were the President of BCIT and the Chairman of the Board of Governors.
- C. Taylor of a wealth management group offered to give a presentation of about ninety minutes on that topic. The offer was declined.
- Topics raised during a discussion were accidents coverage for travel, and on Campus, and financial liabilities of Directors.
9. Next Meeting:
- The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 16, 2011, at 10:00 at the Royal Oak Facility, Rm SE 4-40.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:00.