February 18, 2015
ROYAL OAK FACILITY
Bob Wagner, Chair, Alan Barnard, Chris Barnard, Karl Boerner, Sec., Donna Foster, Derek Knox, Randy Robinson, Murray Sharp.
Barbara Cowen, Gordon Farrell, Ted Howard, Ed Warkentin.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:00.
2. Approval of the Agenda.
- The motion to approve the agenda as amended was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On January 21, 2015:
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried after the names of the absentees (K. Boerner, B. Cowen, T. Howard, E. Warkentin) had been added and the Arychuk estate correctly identified.
- Also, Donna Foster attended the COSCO meeting on Jan. 9.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
- NIDUS, a personal planning resource centre and registry concerning health, legal, financial, and personal topics was mentioned by Donna Foster. Detailed information can be obtained on line.
- Alan Barnard announced that Barbara Cowen will not stand for re-election.
- Mrs. Thom had sent information regarding the health problems of her husband Gordon, former President of BCIT.
- A copy of the BCITFSA (Faculty and Staff Association) folder was made available.
- Alan also mentioned that he and Chris will not stand for re-election.
- Randy Robinson submitted his report, explained some items, and suggested that at the AGM the members should be asked to come up with ideas on how to spend some of the Association's money.
c. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- Alan Barnard has 96 paid-up members, 94 in arrears.
- A letter to members is mentioning the advantage of the membership.
d. Liaison with COSCO
- Donna Foster has attended the COSCO meetings as our representative. View Report here
- In a wide-ranging report Donna Foster mentioned the support of Cosco for the yes vote on the transportation tax, a Seniors's Forum, the problems of poverty, homelessness, elder abuse, and the medical driving test of seniors over eighty, among others.
e. Fellowship and Travel
- Chris Barnard had the facts and figures about the cost of a luncheon at the Executive Inn, where a
buffet is offered and lots of free parking is available. Since Chris and Alan recommended the restaurant, the price for the luncheon was set at $ 27, and it is to be held on April 12.
- Chris will try to let Barbara Cowen design the invitation.
f. BCIT 50th Anniversary
- In the absence of Gordon Farrell, Bob Wagner reported. Bob had been at the BCIT airport facility where the mural consisting of infinitely-many photos was displaced. More photos are needed.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
6. New Business.
- Discussed were items for the capsule, photos and pins for example; and the AGM.
- Flowers to be sent to Don Eklof, who is having health problems.
7. Next Meeting:
- It will be held on March 18, 2015, at 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, SE 40, Rm 112.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:20.