April 15, 2015
ROYAL OAK FACILITY
Bob Wagner, Chair, Lynda Bennett-Retei, Karl Boerner, Sec., Gordon Farrell, Donna Foster, Derek Knox, Randy Robinson, Murray Sharp.
1. Call To Order:
- The meeting was called to order at 10:05.
Lynda, the new member, was introduced to the Directors.
2. Approval of the Agenda.
- The motion to approve the agenda was seconded and carried.
3. Adoption Of The Minutes Of The Meeting Held On February 18, 2015:
- The motion to adopt the minutes was seconded and carried.
4. Business Arising From The Minutes.
5. New Directors and Positions
Realizing that there would be some overlapping, the following results were obtained:
- Bob Wagner to look after the correspondence,
- Randy Robinson remains treasurer and will also be concerned with membership,
- Donna Foster to continue the liaison with COSCO and support travel,
- Lynda Bennett-Retei to be occupied with recruitment, fellowship, and travel,
- Karl Boerner to be recording secretary.
- Bob Wagner has sent a letter to the President of BCIT, thanking her for the Institute's support of the Retirees' Association.
- Discussed was the tone of the letters mailed out to members in arrears, the positive aspects are to be stressed.
- Derek Knox read aloud a letter written by a student who had received a bursary and was thanking the Foundation, which, as Derek pointed out, emphasized the worthwhile work the Association is doing.
- Randy Robinson presented his report, explained some entries and answered questions. The lunch at Tivoli’s was enjoyed by 37 members. Total current assets as of April 15 stand at $ 15,304.71.
c. Membership, Recruitment, Recognition and Support
- According to Randy Robinson we have two new, 130 paid, and 63 members in arrears.
d. Liaison with COSCO
- Donna Foster's report couvered the latest two COSCO sessions. Mentioned were the over-forty workshops with speakers, offered at no cost and covering Health and Wellness, Falling Prevention, Fraud and Scams, etc. A COSCO conference is to be held in Sept. 2016. The seniors’ vote is to be organised for the upcoming elections.
e. Fellowship and Travel
- A report was not available.
f. BCIT 50th Anniversary
- Gordon Farrell mentioned that the anniversary activities are winding down, that the Selfie Wall Murals are
still up, and that it is important for members of the BCITRA to get involved. Example: He is a judge in an engineering industry project competition.
The motion to accept the reports was seconded and carried.
7. New Business and business arising from the reports.
- Bob Wagner mentioned that work on the Web Page is continuing, that he's in touch with Ted Marchant, the web master.
- Randy Robinson has started to work on a Newsletter.
- The question was raised whether Marie-Clair Concannon, Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving, should be invited to participate at the Board meetings.
- Venues for a wine and cheese party were discussed. Yacht Clubs at Crescent Beach and Jericho are under consideration.
- Should we try to offer our members any of the many workshops offered by COSCO?
7. Next Meeting:
- It will be held on May 20, 2015, at 10:00, at the Royal Oak Facility, SE 40, Rm 112.
- Meeting adjourned at 11:20.